Requirements for Expressive Therapist certification:
1. Minimum of a master's degree from an acredited insititution of higher education in Expressive Therapy or healthcare-related field. Candidates with exceptional credentials shall be considered by the board on an individual basis.
Education must include:
- Minimum of 1 semester hour credit or equivalent in Continuing Education Credit (15 hour) courses in the following areas:
- Music improvisation
- Movement/Dance Improvisation
- Creative Expression through Art
3. Minimum of 3 semester hour credits in anatomy & physiology.
4. Minimum of 3 semester hour credits in counseling psychology.
5. Minimum of 1 semester hour credit or equivalent in Continuing Education Credit (15 hour) courses in Multi-Modal Expressive therapy.
6. 100 hours hands on clinical experience supervised by any of the following:
A. Certified or Registered Expressive Therapist
B. Licensed Psychologist
C. Licensed Professional Counselor
B. Licensed M.D.
all supervisors, except for those in category A, shall submit a signed statement of familiarity with Expressive Therapy philosophy and technique.
7. 20 hours of documented personal training is required from a certified or registered Expressive Therapist.
8. Signed agreement to ethical standards upheld by Expressive Therapy Concepts. This is included in application packet.
9. All candidates shall take an exam consisting of a written and a practical component. Exams will be be scheduled by the board.
10. Check for $350. made out to Expressive Therapy Concepts.
This includes the non-refundable application fee of 250. and the practical exam fee of 100.
Certification is granted for 4 years and may be renewed by completion of 100 hours of documented Expressive Therapy Continuing Education as defined by the board, or by re-examination.
Expressive Therapy Concepts. 125 Prospect St. Phoenixville, PA 19460 610-933-8145